Waste Exemptions for agricultural activities

Waste exemptions (as part of waste legislation) apply equally to any sector where waste is handled and agriculture is not considered separately from other sectors such as commerce and industry

What do farmers need to do?

Farmers will need to register all waste activities that are exempt before existing exemptions (if already registered) expire. If at any time activities are no longer exempt because of changes to operations, farmers will need to stop the activity or apply for a permit.

How to register

Please follow the steps below to make sure you choose the right exemptions to register and that you know what you need to do to comply with them. exemptions are free to register.

Farmers can find out which exemptions they hold and when they expire at the following public register: https://nrwregulatory.naturalresources.wales/exemptions/PublicRegister/S earch

Step 1 – Find out which exemptions apply to you

Go to www.naturalresourceswales.gov.uk and click on “Register your waste exemptions”.

Step 2 – Understand the general conditions you must comply with

You will also have to comply with the general conditions which apply to all exemptions (known as the “relevant objectives”) which are there to make sure that you do not cause harm to people or the environment. This means that in particular you must operate without:

a) Risk to water, air, soil, plants or animals.
b) Causing a nuisance through noise and odours.
c) Adversely affecting the countryside or places of special interest.

Step 3 – Complete you registration

exemptions are free to register, and they can be applied for online or by post. The fastest and preferred option is to register online at www.naturalresourceswales.gov.uk (Click on “Register your exemptions”).

Once registered, NRW will send a letter confirming your registration and your exemption details will appear on the waste exemption public register on NRW’s website.

Step 4 – Keep your exemptions up-to-date

exemptions registrations expire after three years so farmers will need to renew them at the end of the registration period. It is the farmers responsibility to re-register and you may add any new exemptions that you need or ask for ones you no longer need to be removed at any time.

Contacting NRW:

You can call NRW on 0300 065 3000. NRW advisors are available Monday to Friday 9am until 5pm or can be emailed at enquiries@naturalresourceswales.gov.uk

Farmers should quote their reference number when they call NRW or put this in the subject field when emailing. The reference number starts with AWe and is located in the top corner of the letter sent to you.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.