Be aware of planning issues

by Kathryn Williams, land agent with Davis Meade Property Consultants

WITH Brexit on the horizon farmers are being urged to evaluate their businesses, improve the efficiency of current enterprises and consider potential diversification options.

Some farmers may choose to consider

options as facilities such as renewing silage clamp walls or converting an agricultural building for residential use. If you are considering carrying out any works on your farm it is important to know:

1) Do I need planning permission?
2) If so, what type of application, if any, do I need to submit?

Is planning permission always required?

Within the agricultural sector, formal planning permission is not always required for certain types of development. Some development work can be carried out under “General Permitted Development Order” (GPDO) without having to submit a full planning application to the local Planning Authority (lPA).

Under the GPDO rules for some permitted works it states that a prior notification application must be submitted to notify the lPA of your intention to carry out your permitted works, before the works begin. This must be done, otherwise you will not have fulfilled the requirements to meet the rules and the permitted rights will not apply.

This situation applies to works such as replacing old timber sleepers in a silage pit wall with new concrete panels. It is therefore always imperative to research your project in full against the GPDO rules before assuming that permitted development rights will protect you.

The application

It is important that when submitting a planning application that you ensure that the package is complete otherwise the lPA will not be able to validate the application which will cause time and potentially financial delays.

Formal requirements for an application for planning permission include:
• The correct standard application form of the relevant lPA
• The specific information requested by the lPA on the application form
• The correct fee
• A location plan
• A site plan
• Ownership certificates
• Notices to owners of the application site
• An agricultural land declaration (if applicable)
• A design and access statement, depending on the nature of the proposal.

Whether you are considering day-to-day improvements to existing infrastructure or a long term financial commitment into residential conversion of barns, you should research National and local planning policies as to what planning permission is required or seek professional advice before carrying out any works.

Kathryn Williams, Davis Meade Property Consultants. Tel: 01691 659658. Fax: 01691 676144. Mobile: 07971 583638. Website:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.