Dear Dafydd – Insurance question? Ask our Account Exec Dafydd – he’s here to help

Can you explain briefly, the limitations and requirements of an Agricultural ‘Limited Use’ Vehicle?

Certainly, there are a lot of misconceptions and false information about ‘Limited Use’ vehicles. For a vehicle to be included in this category, the registration document (V5) has to have the tax classification ‘Limited Use Agricultural vehicle’. The vehicle needs to be roadworthy, although no MOT is required, and a minimum of third party motor Insurance must be in place. If the vehicle has a diesel engine, it can be used with Red Diesel. There are strict restrictions on the use of this class of vehicle. Using the vehicle out with these is illegal and could make your insurance policy inoperable. The UK Gov website states that eligible vehicles for ‘Limited Use’ include tractors, agricultural engines and light agricultural vehicles used off-road. It also includes vehicles used for short journeys (not more than 1.5 kilometers) on the public road, between land that’s occupied by the same person. For more information please contact your local Account Executive who will be happy to help.

My local Account Executive has mentioned to me D&O and Cyber Cover. I run a family farm of 120 acres in North Wales – do I need this cover?

Neither are compulsory insurance but may be advisable. They can take the form of an ‘add on’ to your existing Farm Combined policy or be a separate policy altogether. Directors and Officers Liability Insurance (often called “D&O”) is insurance payable to the directors and officers of a company (or to the organisation itself), indemnifying it against legal action brought for alleged wrongful acts, in their capacity as directors and officers.

Such cover can also extend to defence costs arising out of criminal and regulatory investigations and trials. Intentional illegal acts, however, are not covered under D&O policies.

Cyber-insurance is an insurance product used to protect businesses and individual users from Internet-based risks, and more generally from risks relating to information technology infrastructure and activities. Risks of this nature are typically excluded from traditional commercial general liability policies, or at least are not specifically defined in traditional insurance products.

Coverage provided by cyber-insurance policies may include losses such as data destruction, extortion, theft, hacking and denial of service attacks. Liability cover, indemnifying companies for losses to others caused, for example, by errors and omissions, failure to safeguard data, or defamation is generally included.

Other benefits including regular security-audit, post-incident public relations, investigative expenses and criminal reward funds can be included.

Whatever your requirements, FUW Insurance can source quotes for both D&O and Cyber Insurance from a number of companies. Your Account Executive will be glad to help.

Do I need to be a farmer or have farming connections to obtain a quote from FUW Insurance Services?

No, as one of the leading rural insurance brokers in Wales, we can advise on and arrange a wide variety of insurance policies for private & commercial clients. We can accommodate customers not just in Wales but all over the UK. Please, call us, e-mail or come in to meet our friendly, experienced, qualified and dedicated staff in our network of local friendly offices and we will be delighted to help you with all your insurance needs.

All the above are guidelines, contact your FUW Insurance Agent for a more in-depth answers.

Send me your questions: or via post to: FUWIS, 15 Watling Street, Llanrwst, Sir Conwy, LL26 0LS
by July 22

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.